Tuesday 14 January 2014

Aspirational Goals

I don't normally do New Year's Resolutions, but this year I felt I should list some Aspirational Goals for the year.  I'm never going to be able to achieve all of these, but here's what I'd do if time (and money) was no object.  The below are in alphabetical order of ruleset.

7TV

I've always found the concept of this ruleset fascinating, and last year I picked them up in pdf on sale at Wargame Vault.
I'm keen to do these in 15mm mainly for space and cost, and luckily Khurasan have just released their 60s spy range!





Chain of Command 

The latest set from TooFatLardies.  I'm hoping to re-use my half-finished Flames of War figures from many years ago, as well as some 6mm.  The 6mm options will be more historical, but I'm wondering about doing some Achtung Cthulhu! inspired Weird War 2 as well.







Deadzone 

Since I Kickstarted it, I should probably play it.... :)
One of only two games I'll be playing in 28mm on this list.
A mate of mine also went in on this, so I have at least one other person to play it with.





Dux Britanniarum 

My Romano British army for Dux is complete, and my Saxons are based and just need painting.  Hope to get them both on the table this year.







Force on Force

I have enjoyed the FoF games I've played to date and I'd like to get some more in.  I have both 15mm and 6mm for this.  I'd like to get the 6mm finished up and on the table.  Initially I think I'd focus on the scenarios offered in the "Road to Baghdad" supplement that focuses on the early stages of the Allied engagement in Iraq.




Ghosts of Hefei

I kickstarted this and will be picking up both the Hefei book as well as the earlier "The Department" ruleset.  Gaming will be in 15mm, initially with the KS figures.
15mm cyberpunk - there's not enough of it in my opinion!


I Ain't Been Shot Mum

TooFatLardies Company Level ruleset.  I have a LOT of 6mm lead waiting to go on the table for this.  I really want to make a dent in this pile.
The focus here will be on Normandy.





Malifaux

A couple of years ago, my brother bought me a Malifaux starter box, but the figures are still in the box (and so are his!).
I recently picked up a copy of the V2 ruleset as part of a Black Friday sale.
This is a game we've been meaning to try for some time.




Mud and Blood

It's the 100 year anniversary of the start of the Great War.  I have had a copy of these rules from TooFatLardies for a couple of years, and have slowly been building a pile of unpainted 6mm lead to game them with.





Ronin

I got on the bandwagon and picked up this set from the Osprey Wargames range.  My intent is to fritter about in 6mm initially on these.






Sharpe Practice

Another ruleset I've had for a while that I want to get on the table.

First up is the "Wellington in India" period done in 6mm.

In addition, I've been hotly anticipating the Jolly Jack Tarr book from TooFatLardies and have some 6mm nautical types awaiting.


Wargods of Aegyptus / Olympus

I participated in the Crocodile Games Kickstarter last year for Wargods of Olympus.  As part of that I receive the rulebooks for all the Wargods product as pdfs.
True to form, I want to fritter around with these in 6mm to get a feel before I look at whether I need to "Go large!".



And that's it.  Much of this gaming (if it ever happens) will be solo, mainly because of my penchant for tiny figures and the difficulty matching up my time and those of my mates for a game.
Let's Go!

3 comments:

  1. That's quite a list of games to play! :)

    I have looking at Malifaux myself lately. I like the story telling built into the scenarios and campaigns. Something the seems to get overlooked. Not sure about the card mechanics - possibly too complicated? Still interested to know how it goes...

    Have you looked at Warmachine? Despite your 28mm aversion (I can sympathise) it might scratch the skirmish itch. Otherwise Infinity seems to be the go to rules for very tactical games.

    Not to worsen your backlog by the way... :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey there Andrew!
      Yep, it's quite a list. I'm not going to be able to get through it all.
      I need to site down with Malifaux and work it through, but I have this sneaking suspicion you may be right and that it will be overly complicated...
      I'm steering clear of Warmachine for the moment, although it has looked interesting in the past. I think another mate has the Infinity rules and I see a lot of people plugging them online as a good game. Again, I'm steering clear for the moment - must stick ot the plan! ;)

      Delete
    2. A quick follow up.
      Just listened to the latest Meeples and Miniatures podcast. Note to self - get a life.

      Anyway, "Chain of Command" came up very positively, so it looks like I am going to have a look myelf. Apparently they are releasing period specific notes and lists for free. So could be really good. Maybe we can compare notes some time?

      Otherwise I learned of "Empire of the Dead". VSF style like Malifaux, but with much easier mechanics. Don't know about you, but I need simple mechanics these days. Too time poor to learn and retain complex rules when I get to play monthly at most frequent.

      They have free quick start rules on Wargames Vault, so could be worth a look - if even only as a stepping stone to Malifaux.

      Lastly keep an eye on Polyversal. 6mm sci-fi, due out "sometime" this year.

      Delete